What Peer Advisors Do
Peer advisors assist the Cognitive Science advising team by providing students with information about the major, major requirements, academic planning, assistance with getting involved with clubs and research opportunities, and much, much more!
Currently, our peer advising team offers drop-in services via Zoom. They also answer questions that appear on the CogSci Piazza page and will occasionally take over the CogSci Instagram page. While our peer advising program is entirely remote at present, this position is not guaranteed 100% remote. In the future, peer advisors may be asked to come in-person at 101 Stephens Hall (across from the Campanile).
In addition to offering drop-in advising and answering questions on our Piazza page, peers are also required to take on a project each semester. Projects range from designing + facilitating workshops, creating advising resources for students, hosting social media features, etc.
Who Makes a Good Peer Advisor
A good peer advisor is a student who enjoys helping and has a particular interest in helping fellow students idenitfy their academic interests. In general, peer advisors are friendly, empathic, and eager to support their fellow Golden Bears. This position is especially great for those who wish to gain experience with advising and/or academic counseling.
- Must be a declared CogSci student
- Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major
- Must have completed 3+ upper division distributions
- Must be available to work Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 for 6 hours/week
- Must be available in August for training
- Available for 4 hours/week for drop-in advising and 2 hours/week for your project/Piazza maintenance
- Willing to work in-person should the opportunity arise
- Maintain Piazza page (i.e., make sure all questions are answered and moderate comments)
- Attend monthly staff meetings held at 9AM every first Friday
- Available to assist with day-of commencement activities for Spring 22
- Complete one project per semester
- Support two CogSci events per semester
- Three page reflection due at the end of each semester
Due on February 28th, 2022 @ 11:59 PST.
Questions about logistics? Contact Sofia (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Questions about the position? Contact our current peer advisors.